Welcome to my home page!
News: I am co-organising a Workshop on Open Ended Evolution at the ECAL 2015 conference, York, UK, over 20-24 July.
I work in the fields of artificial intelligence, artificial life
and computer science. Having spent most of the last decade working commercially and as
an academic course director, I am now getting back to active academic research.
I am currently working as a research associate on the
in the York Centre for Complex Systems Analysis at the
University of York.
I am also an external examiner for the
University of London International Programmes.
I spent most of 2014 in Australia, working as a Senior Research
Fellow in the Faculty
of Information Technology
at Monash University in
Melbourne. During my time there, I developed Omnigram Explorer, a
simple interactive tool for exploring complex computational models.
I hold an MA in Natural Sciences (specialising in Experimental Psychology) from Cambridge University, and an MSc (with distinction) and PhD in Artificial Intelligence from Edinburgh University.
Other things that keep me occupied include:
- I am a board member of the International Society for Artificial Life.
- I am on the editorial board of the open-access journal Frontiers in Robotics and AI (Computational Intelligence).
- I am an examiner for the
University of London International Programmes BSc and Diploma courses in
and Information Systems and
- I am an occasional reviewer for the following journals:
Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines,
IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation,
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics
- I am (was/will be) a member of the programme committee for many
I organised the Artificial Life and the Web workshop at ALIFE 14 (New York, 2014).
- I co-organised a track
on open-ended evolution at the Eleventh International Conference on
Artificial Life (Winchester, UK, 2008).
- I organised a workshop on the Co-evolution of Brains and Bodies
at the Seventh International Conference on Artificial Life
(Portland, Oregon, 2000).
- I developed (in late 2012) and maintain (ongoing) the new website for the International Society for Artificial Life.
- I am an occasional reviewer of proposals for various national and
international scientific grant awarding bodies.
Here's a handy map of the rest of this site: