Welcome to my home page!
I am an independent researcher working in the fields of artificial intelligence, artificial life
and computer science, based in Edinburgh, Scotland. My current work is mostly focussed on web-based
research and applications of artificial life technology. I am also an external examiner for the
University of London International Programmes.
I hold an MA in Natural Sciences (specialising in Experimental Psychology) from Cambridge University, and an MSc (with distinction) and PhD in Artificial Intelligence from Edinburgh University.
Other things that keep me occupied include:
- I am a board member of the International Society for Artificial Life.
- I am on the editorial board of the open-access journal Frontiers in Robotics and AI (Computational Intelligence).
- I am an examiner for the
University of London International Programmes BSc and Diploma courses in
and Information Systems and
- I am an occasional reviewer for the following journals:
Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines,
IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation,
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics
- I am (was/will be) a member of the programme committee for many
I co-organised the Workshop on Open Ended Evolution at the ECAL 2015 conference (York, UK, 2015).
I organised the Artificial Life and the Web workshop at ALIFE 14 (New York, 2014).
- I co-organised a track
on open-ended evolution at the Eleventh International Conference on
Artificial Life (Winchester, UK, 2008).
- I organised a workshop on the Co-evolution of Brains and Bodies
at the Seventh International Conference on Artificial Life
(Portland, Oregon, 2000).
- I developed (in late 2012) and maintain (ongoing) the new website for the International Society for Artificial Life.
- I am an occasional reviewer of proposals for various national and
international scientific grant awarding bodies.
Here's a handy map of the rest of this site: